The Aintree Circuit Club has a proud and interesting history, founded in 1954, by the then Owners of Aintree Racecourse, The Topham Family, and local motor racing Drivers and Officials.
Our President is former Mod Sports Racing Driver and Carburettor “King” Graham Hughes (since 1981).
Our Vice Presidents are Sir Drummond Bone ( now retired Vice Chancellor of Oxford and Liverpool Universities & former Chairman of the Maserati Club of Great Britain) and Richard Peacock ( Founder of the Aintree Racing Drivers’ School in 1977 & Associate Director of Anglesey Racing Circuit. Richard’s Father was also a Founding Member of the Club).
Officially opened by Earl Howe and Raymond Mears in 1954, the three mile circuit remains Britain’s only purpose built Grand Prix circuit and still exists in its entirety.
In 1955 the track hosted the British Grand Prix and a still record crowd of over 150 000 proudly witnessed the first time a British driver – Stirling Moss – had ever won the title at home with Aintree hosting the Grand Prix d’Europe in 1957 which witnessed the first all British Formula 1 World Championship win for the Vanwall driven by Stirling Moss and Tony Brooks.
Aintree hosted further historically significant Grand Prix in 1959 (Winner – Jack Brabham – Cooper), 1961 (Winner – Count “Taffy” Von Trips – Ferrari 156 “shark nose”) and 1962 (Jim Clark – Lotus 25).
The Aintree “200” non-championship Formula 1 race was also hosted 11 times with the last race held April 1964 won by Jack Brabham together with numerous other major race events including the British Touring Car Championship.
The Club had the honour and privilege of organising and running rounds of the British Touring Car Championship on the Grand Prix Circuit in the 1960’s: (Jack Sears at Tatts Corner in the Ford Galaxie and being presented with his Winners’ Trophy by ACC Chairman, Dr Roy Argument).
From 1967 until 1982, the Club was the only non-professional organisation responsible for the maintenance and management of a permanent motor racing track in the U.K.
Motor racing ceased at Aintree in July 1982, when the Racecourse was put on the market by the receivers of the then Owner and was bought by a way of public donations of £1.5Million and a £1Million loan from The “Tote” by way of a fund raising campaign run by The Jockey Club, to essentially preserve The Grand National Steeplechase.
Despite various attempts by the ACC to bring motor racing back to Aintree, the horse racing authorities have never seen eye to eye with proposals or been in any position to finance them.
The addition of a Golf Driving range and pay as you play 9 hole Golf Course by the Racecourse Management within the Club Racing Circuit in the 1990s has since severely restricted the availability of the track for motor sport events which is now limited to only 3 car and 5 motorcycle competitive events per annum.
The Aintree Circuit Club has at its’ heart the core values to maintain and promote the credentials of North West motoring and motor sport heritage and works with many organisations with similar interests.
The Club is also a recognised organising body and a Member of Motorsport UK, the U.K. governing body of four-wheel Motorsport.
Thanks to the coordination, management and team work from Aintree Circuit Club and partners, Ormskirk MotorFest 2020 is set to be another resounding success.